addy release their debut album, Eclipse
Following in the steps of a pair of electronics-embellished folk EPs, Eclipse is the debut record from Richmond, VA’s addy. As with addy’s previous work, Eclipse’s contemplative magic was produced entirely from home studios, lending a crucial flexibility to the album’s overall recording process, the final product of which belies its modest, DIY studio accommodations.
Led by the eponymous Adam Watkins (he/they), addy’s compositions navigate universal themes of friendship, heartbreak, and growth on the terrain of eloquent, country-reminiscent instrumentation. Natural ASMR-inducing textures and Casio-sequenced drum hooks create a unique rhythmic foundation for addy’s distinct lilt, itself occasionally adorned with honeysuckle-sweet pitch correction which lends the folkish twang an unusual yet modern slant.
Lead single “Planted” captures many of Eclipse’s salient elements with its wailing violin and pedal steel, evoking the strong emotions associated with healing and growth. On “Easier,” addy longs to alleviate the pains of a near-and-dear friend, whereas the album’s triumphant apex “Eclipse” turns the reflection inward in an entrancing, climactic ode to the self, punctuated with notes of optimism and hope.
Eclipse is out now, released March 6th 2020
- March 15, 2020 – Nashville, TN @ Red Shed Sessions
- March 17, 2020 – Austin, TX @ Topshelf SXSW Official Showcase
- March 19, 2020 – Austin, TX @ Hooligan / L&F Showcase
- March 20, 2020 – Austin, TX @ Phluff Showcase
- March 21, 2020 – Austin, TX @ Friend Oasis
- March 23, 2020 – Baton Rouge, LA @ Southside Arts
- March 24, 2020 – New Orleans, LA @ Gasa Gasa
- March 25, 2020 – Athens, GA @ TBA