It’s that time once again, as the countdown to the end of 2016 quickly approaches we take a personal look back on familiar names, features and musicians’ best releases of the past 12 months. In what has been a crazy year of highs and lows it’s the releases that have pulled a lot of people through the year. Now in it’s 6th year, Circuit Sweet will be hosting takeovers from the featured artists/musicians/labels and promoters of the site with their personal top 5 releases of the year.
Our annual end of year tradition is where we let our favourites take over the site to tell us the records that have made their end of year lists, their favourite events/gigs and what we can look forward to from them next year.
Our next take over comes from Brussels based trio Rince-Doigt. We discovered this talent at the start of the year and they soon dropped a must hear and momentous EP release. They’ve had a promising year together and we know they’ve got so much more to come- we expect to see these guys on a stage at Arctangent some time soon. For now we hand over to the guys to discover more about their year in music.
We couldn’t choose a common top 5 so each of us picked 2 albums we particularly loved this year !
– Robbing Millions – Lonely Carnivore
– Papooz – Green Juice
– Atlas – B L U S H
– Mammal Hands – Floa
– Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool
-ULRIKA SPACEK – The Album Paranoia
The best show you have played this year and why
– We played a sold out show in Brussels with Totorro & La Jungle a few weeks ago. It was really intense, something special was in the air during that show. Definitly one of the best gig we played !
The best gig you have attended and why
– The 3 of us were at Arctangent in Bristol this year, and the show of Enemies was soooo incredible. Plus they announced they were splitting up a few days after that show, so, yeah, definitly a great moment ’cause we know we won’t see them anymore !
And we have to mention the show of the jazz band at La Ferme !!! Festival, such a great moment, if you’re into jazz, you have to give them a ear !
Highlights of your year
– I guess attending Arctangent was, as always, such a great moment. Shitty weather but such good vibes and great bands. Definitely an unmissable !
Artist/Band to watch for 2016
Here is a selection of our favourite Belgian artists at the moment !
– Boda Boda : Imagine Josh Homme jamming with the Battles musicians. Sounds pretty cool, yeah ? Well here is Boda Boda.
Indie tropical math pop at his finest ! Each song is a portrait of a woman, with its own atmosphere, own name, and own visuals. (And it’s Val who’s VJing during their shows !)
– Run Sofa : Cool dudes, playing psych indie pop. Their songs are catchy and weird at the same time. But weird in the best way !
There is a strong psychedelic scene in Brussels and Phoenician Drive are definitely the next big thing. A subtle mix of kraut rock, middle-east traditional music and post-rock.
Plans for the New Year
– Well. Getting drunk on champagne, that’s for sure. But we’re so bad at planning a New Year Event that it’s gonna surely be a last-minute plan !
A huge thank you- get to the UK and hit up some live shows! Wishing you the best for next year.